[wsfii-discuss] disasters and telecom

Arun Mehta arunlists at softhome.net
Fri Oct 14 09:33:09 UTC 2005

In disaster after disaster, we have seen how the immediate and
catastrophic failure of telecom compounds the misery of the people. I
believe WSFII should work on a strategy to combat this, taking advantage
of all the experience our US friends gathered after Katrina. Possible
actions:

1. Can we not, possibly from the Djursland institute, coordinate a task
force that drops what it is doing and rushes with equipment to the
disaster zone, the way organisations such as the Red Cross or MSF do?
2. Can we look at stocking or, if needed, developing hardware that might
help in disasters? For instance, now that so many people carry mobile
phones on their person, a simple detector might help in finding people
buried under rubble.
3. Best would be, if among the people affected by the disaster, were
those who already knew how to set up wireless networks. In that case,
even people cut off from the rest of the world could get the message
across, something that would have been invaluable in Kashmir these last
few days. Can we not make special effort to train people in areas that
are particularly prone to disasters, such as the Pacific rim and the
Himalayan region? If those affected early on by the tsunami had been
able to raise the alarm, many lives might have been saved.

Arun