[wsfii-discuss] disasters and telecom

Charles "core" Stevenson corezion at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 09:33:05 UTC 2005

Wow. :-) This list always leaves me in such awe or future shock and
excitment that I just and stare at the screen. I'm still trying to find some
local coconspirators willing to dive into some UTC projects... like GNU
Radio.. I'm not sure. It will happen eventually. We do have a wireless
mailing list but it's absolutely dead! And the wiki is broken.. hrm...
http://www.rawug.org/wiki/FrontPage. Ever since I moved to Nevada I've
realised how behind it is... at least this area. When you mentioned the
printing press I had a bit of an epiphany. I move here from Lawrence, KS
(home of the late William Burroughs). The city's slogan/motto is "From ashes
to immortality." Which always hit me hard in the synchronicties. ;-) But in
any case there was a nice mural there which showed printing presses being
burned and all of this. Basically, the way I see it, Lawrence was the focal
point of revolutionary minds which brought on the US Civil War. Perhaps
another ripple will arise from that small town? I'm not sure... anyways
here's some interesting and insightful information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence%2C_Kansas

The town was founded by a man with very similar interests to what we are
talking about on this list in a modern context. I recommend anyone to read
about the Lawrence family.

peace,
core