[wsfii-discuss] Whole Infrastructure Catalogue

hugh barnard hughbarnardlists at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 10:56:06 UTC 2005

Hi

Those are good subjects and I'd go somewhat further:

1. A lot of the barriers are 'documentation, democratisation and integration'

2. I often find it tough getting things to work, because the doc is spread about and often quite challenging. And, I have a certain amount of technical knowledge, so imagine the problem for the 'rest of the world'.

3. For democratisation (probably not a word, but), I'd like to see and collaborate on 'franchise manuals', how to set up and operate x. I'm not going to mention McDonalds, but one can learn from them, in this respect.
There are commercially based print on demand publishers now that _may_ make a viable small run alternative/medium to O'Reilly!

4. It's even tougher to make 'architectural' schemes for things to work together (especially giving a process and economic model as well). It's also arguable that these schemes shouldn't be 'architectural' (because that's probably too controlling) but more 'pharmacological' (what will work with what, without too much pain).

To be ambitious it's maybe time to think along these lines again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_Earth_Catalog
Whole Infrastructure Catalogue anyone?

Best regards Hugh
http://hughbarnard.org