[wsfii-discuss] WSFII Local Currency : RFC

Greenman greenman at muti.tv
Mon Sep 19 22:14:33 UTC 2005

WSFII Local Currency: Request For Comments

Here is an outline of the plan to establish a local currency for the WSFII
event. The actual implementation may end up being nothing like this, but
hey, that's life.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

* Overview

We will be creating an internal currency for the WSFII event. This currency
will be used to pay part of the ”wages” of those working during the event,
but all notes will be fully redeemable for cash at the end of the
conference.

This currency will be accepted at participating cafés near the WSFII event.
Should there be any stalls set up within WSFII, these stores should also
accept the local currency.

* The Bureau

The WSFII front desk will operate as a Bureau de change. Currencies can be
exchanged, commission free at a 1:1 exchange rate.

Notes will be available in 2, 1 and ½ Credit denominations.

Notes are only valid if they are stamped with a signature WSFII ink stamp.

* Using the currency in participating shops

WSFII participants will be informed as to which merchants are accepting the
currency. Hopefully we can use the map systems for this.

We will provide all these cafés with in information sheet that will ensure
that their staff are aware of the currency. Cafés can provide change in
WSFII credits or in the Queen's scrip. Some cafés may want to create special
menus to make the exchange easier, we hope that all will offer some kind of
discount to those using the WSFII currency.

At the end of the weekend, we will visit all the participating stores and
exchange their collected WSFII notes for cash at a pre-agreed exchange rate.
If purchases were made at a discount, this will probably be a 1:1 exchange,
but if we are nice, we could maybe get an extra bonus.

* Other Currency Uses

Currency can be exchanged for anything as long as it is accepted. Go ahead,
people should be encouraged to do whatever they want with it. However, the
notes will cease to be exchangeable for cash at the end of WSFII.

Ok. That’s part 1.

Greenman