[wsfii-discuss] Wsfii volunteers

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Mon Sep 26 20:55:54 UTC 2005

I'm happy that a lot of people said they would potentially volunteer
to help run Wsfii when they registered. the more people help a little
bit the less any individual has to do.

http://www.okfn.org/wsfii/wiki/Volunteers

A loose classification of things that Wsfii needs people to do in
order to happen as well as possible.

 * Fixing physical space
  * cleaning and setting up the main hall
  * setting up the annotation room
  * tables &c in the entrance hall for registration and stalls

 * Allocating consumable things
  * Setting it up and taking away tea and coffee
  * Making sure people have their Limes and can redeem them.

 * Helping people to move about
  * registration / signup / donation on the door
  * making and printing maps so people can find their way
  * making and printing badges for the weekend so that people can
  * identify each other better
  * generally lurking about and being helpful

 * Helping people to help others
  * providing information about what is going on and what is needed.

I am sure there should be more sorts of thing on that list.

You know, we have argued over web services and wiki pages and used
neither, really, and saul suggested one reason why is that perhaps
'todos' and 'tasks', and the management of tasks, is not the right
approach, does not aptly  evoke experience.
But we need some mechanism for letting people know
what needs to be done where. Of course i have whole information
systems fantasies about it when perhaps it could be as well managed
with pieces of paper, or small coloured plastic balls, or something.

The below is a list of names of people who said they
would like to be helpful!

Paula Graham
andrew wasilczuk
carole wright