[wsfii-discuss] OpenGeoData-related comments from LWN

Charles "core" Stevenson corezion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 17:56:39 UTC 2005

That's pretty sweet. I once thought of making a website which tracks the
police. A sort of watching the watchers who are watching you. For example
many US law enforcement agencies are required to make the blotter (log of
incidents) publicly available. There is some amazing things you can do with
this. For instance, especially if you can get the data in digital format and
parse it, one can create a geographical map with statistics information
based on correlating the street intersection with the census database, in
the US I used TIGER. This turns the street into a Lat/Long suitable for
plotting, recording, or feeding into your GPS. If you get enough people with
GPS enabled laptops and open it to the public with the use of even cell
phone cameras and SMS it becomes logistically infeasible for the police to
counter this public intelligence. You log where you see police and when and
match it with the database. This would sort of keep in check any sort of
corruption. Then you can attach an ogg vorbis encoder to a police band
scanner and later chop up all the audio based on the time and store it in
the database. This would proove invaluable both to law enforcement in being
able to track trends. For instance I found once a sequential linear address
progression in breakins in an airport warehouse section.

Using open wireless networks we create the fear panopticon society of
science fiction novels where common deceny is enforced by the sheer
likelihood of one being recorded in the act. This is slightly on the lunatic
fringe, as Bruce Schneier once said @ defcon, but I think it's something
that would benefit all. It's obviously a double edged sword. But the
implications are that the governments and powerful companies already are
tapping into the abundance of data available at all times for their
purposes. It's time to give the populace some means to tap into the global
information network freely with supplies cheaply acquired.

</rant>