[wsfii-discuss] Is ISM band 5.725 to 5.8 50 GHz free in India?

Fred Pook fredpook at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 13:19:19 UTC 2006

Hi Mahabir,
There is some confusion in the earlier Indian government
documentations as to what frequencies are de-licensed, but lately I
find more and more mentioned:
5.15 - 5.35 GHz & 5.725 - 5.875 GHz that would follow the US/Canada policy.
The following is from:
http://www.dot.gov.in/finstatus/PERFORMANCE_BUDGET_2005-06.pdf

"To encourage expansion of broadband connectivity at a faster pace, both
outdoor and indoor usage of low power Wi-fi and WiMax systems in 2.4 GHz–
2.4835 GHz band has been delicensed. The use of low power indoor systems in
5.15 - 5.35 GHz & 5.725 - 5.875 GHz has also been delicensed."

These are the specs you will find in 802.11a equipment:
1). US/Canada:12 non-overlapping channels (5.15 ~ 5.35GHz, 5.725 ~ 5.825GHz)
2). Europe: 19 non-overlapping channel (5.15 ~ 5.35GHz, 5.47 ~ 5.725GHz)
3). Japan: 4 non-overlapping channels (5.15 ~ 5.25GHz)
4). China : 5 non-overlapping channels (5.725 ~ 5.85GHz)

And the following is the Response of ISPAI (Internet Service Providers
Association of India) on on the recent Consultation Paper No. 9 of the
Telecom Regulatory authority Of India. ISPAI has been lobbying for
Open Spectrum for years in India. The response shows deep insights in
to the future of wireless broadband as well, recommended reading for
all of us worldwide:
http://www.trai.gov.in/trai/upload/misc/20/ISPAI.pdf

"The government has already de-licensed indoor as well as outdoor
usage in the 2.4 – 2.4835 GHz band (paving way for growth of
technologies like 802.11b/g and Bluetooth, inter alia). Similarly,
5.150-5.350 GHz & 5.725-5.825 GHz bands have been de-licensed for
indoor / in-campus usage paving the way for deployment of technologies
like 802.11a and RLAN, etc. Authority's recommendations in this regard
have been seminal and we hope that the government would de-license the
outdoor usage in the 5.150-5.350 GHz & 5.725 – 5.825 GHz as well, as
reiterated by the Authority from time to time."

I hope this will help you in your efforts in Nepal,
Thanks, Fred