[wsfii-discuss] 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHZ bands will be de-licensed in Nepal

mahabir at himanchal.org mahabir at himanchal.org
Thu Aug 17 06:17:25 UTC 2006

Hello;

It looks like 2.4 and 5.8 GHz bands will be de-licensed in Nepal soon.
Today I gave a final presentation to the joint meeting of the several
members of Parliament, Minister of Communication, Secreteries of Defence,
Home, Tourism, Communication, Director of Nepal Telecom, CEO of Nepal
Telecom Authority and several other government officials.

Our demand was to de-license 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz bands used by the
wireless network and to make VoIP free at least within Nepal.

Nobody in the meeting was against our demands. The Defense, and Home
Ministries did not have any objection either.

It has been almost a month I am in Kathmandu lobbying for this and it
looks like we will get what we need. It will take some time for them to do
paper works to change the existing regulation.

Thanks for all the information you provided on ISM bands and others. Those
were helpful.

Mahabir