[wsfii-discuss] WSFII Summit in Catalonia by the end of April 2.007 (27th-29th)

Malcolm Matson cityman at city.co.uk
Wed Dec 6 08:09:32 UTC 2006

Vickram - you raise some very pertinent points and being the only person
other than you to have been at both Air Jaldi and the P at SHA event in
Pakistan, I concur with all you say.  In particular I think that WSFII needs
to grapple with how to ensure 'intelligent and purposeful planning and
behaviour'  within its admirabble, unstructured, virtual and 'flat'
structure and democratic culture.  But I guess that will increasingly be an
issue for the whole of society as these new digital technologies of
abundance enable new ways of communicating and collaborating beyond
conventional structures and hierarchies.
Malcolm

On 06/12/06, Vickram Crishna <v1clist at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> It is critical to have discussions at such events on
> subjects that are not, strictly speaking, technical.
>
> Will we one day have mesh networking or related
> technology that enables hundreds or thousands of nodes
> (people) to interact live? If we are confident that
> this scenario is possible, then we must discuss now
> how, or in what circumstances, end-user applications
> and services will come about.
>
> For instance, following the summit at AirJaldi, people
> want to know whether an existing application for voice
> services exists in Open Source (open to use, open to
> develop further) that can be installed within a local
> network, one that today needs to comprise multiple
> domains, that will handle traffic locally.
>
> When I was in Pakistan, one software entrepreneur
> whose commercial business is in call center
> applications has offered to build in open source, a
> voice-based conferencing and point-to-point
> application (voice based because the end-users in
> developing countries may often - will often - be
> illiterate and unfamiliar with POTS, so the form
> factor paradigms that people in the West take for
> granted do not apply). What will the system
> requirements of such an application be? Should it be
> defined in detail in advance or should developers push
> ahead and let the details work themselves out once the
> applications are deployed?
>
> I hope that continuing meetings, currently in process,
> such as Catalonia, will continue to keep such urgent
> matters right up front.
>
> Secondly, we must very quickly firm up within WSFII a
> protocol for handling the needs of subgroups, keeping
> in mind that issues can often transcend their
> parochial discussion and become relevant outside the
> limits of their internal discussions. Prior to
> AirJaldi, the number of lists came down to 2, this one
> relating to general discussions and wsfii-coord for
> matters particular to the annual wsfii event. This
> also led to much confusion and possibly contributed to
> some ridiculous, acrimonious and avoidable flames.
>
> After the event, a new list (AirJaldi) has been
> created to further the interests of the Tibetan
> community. This lies outside the WSFII structure
> entirely, mostly because I think there is no clarity
> about list management. The Pakistan event never got
> posted on the calendar because the web admin didn't
> think it was necessary to post a mini wsfii event
> within a week of its taking place. Naturally,
> participants who may have wanted to come there on
> their own didn't find out so couldn't.
>

> --- Ramon Roca <ramon.roca at guifi.net> wrote:
>
> > Alexander, that's still the firmwares/hardware part,
> > which is in fact
> > the part IMHO we have less to contribute.
> > I'm wondering about the rest of things (maybe those
> > called "not for
> > geeks"), I mean things like
> > collaboration/coordination, financing,
> > network neutrality/peers agreements models, CNML
> > development, content
> [...]

==================================
                   Malcolm J Matson
77 Andrewes House, London EC2Y 8AY, UK
               t:  +44 (0)20-7638 2344
               m: +44 (0)7977 407845
             email: cityman at city.co.uk
==================================
Privileged or confidential information may be
contained in this message.  If you are not the
addressee indicated in this message (or
responsible for delivery of the message to such
person), you may not  copy or deliver this
message to anyone. In such case, you should
destroy  this message and kindly notify the
sender by reply email. Please advise at once
if you or your employer does not consent to
internet email for messages of this kind.