[wsfii-discuss] International collaborations during the Community Wireless Summit [was: Announcing the Second National Summit...]

Sascha Meinrath sascha at ucimc.org
Fri Feb 24 18:58:11 UTC 2006

> Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 00:42:42 +0000
> From: Saul Albert <saul at twenteenthcentury.com>
> Subject: Re: [wsfii-discuss] Announcing the Second National Summit for
> 	Community Wireless Networks -- March 31-April 2,	2006.  St. Charles,
> 	MO.
> To: Discuss list on the World Summit on Free Information
> 	Infrastructure	<wsfii-discuss at lists.okfn.org>
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 04:25:20PM -0600, Sascha Meinrath wrote:
>
>>I would be happy to include WSFII organizing (or even a session if there
>>was enough interest.  Only thing is that I'd need someone else to head this
>>up ('cause my logistics plate is already full to overflow).  If there's
>>interest, just let me know -- it would be fantastic if WSFII folks could
>>make it to the summit -- it's going to be a pretty substantial gathering of
>>wireless folks and I'm hoping to highlight free and open source wireless
>>networking.
>>
>>Keep me posted,
>

> hi Sascha,
>
> Well Rob and I had a chat last friday and we thought doing something
> really simple and low-intensity would work best, just a way of syncing
> discussions, finding out how things are going, what people are working
> on.
>
> I'd suggest doing this at the beginning of the conference (ie, the friday
> - early in the day - for you.. late for us Urbana is GMT -6 hours).

Friday is pre-conference, but we could set up something in the morning.
Ideally, we could do this on Saturday morning during the "International Wireless
Networks" session -- or even during both times.  It would be fantastic to have
representatives from all over the world be a part of the discussion.  The
session runs from 10:30am-12:30pm (GMT -6).  We could set up some sort of audio
and/or video feed, get an IRC backchannel set up, etc.

> How about an hour and a half of your morning session (say 11-12:30) could
> be done as a trans-atlantic (or even global) conversation. That would be
> 5pm - 6:30pm GMT, after which we could go to the pub. We could use a
> simple voice over IP setup - or maybe do a video link if it seems useful,
> and do a microscopic rundown of some things that are on a common agenda -
> just to build on the knowledge of the community at large. Then we could
> report on this and continue conversations remotely or in our localities
> after that.

This would be perfect.

> What do you think? Is anyone else likely to be in London on Friday 31st
> of March and intersted in a little drink in the top room at Limehouse
> Town Hall?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Saul.

If there's interest, let me know and we'll start getting the logistics set on
our side for this.

--Sascha

--
Sascha Meinrath
Policy Analyst    *  Project Coordinator  *  President