[wsfii-discuss] the cooperative way for India?

john wilson johnresearch at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 1 13:16:57 UTC 2006

Balaji and all,

Yes you highlight key points - re. government rhetoric and statements of
good intent, and  opportunist projects designed to benefit from government
funding. Whilst little is actually happening on the ground. Such political
game-plays have a habit of leaving "people" out.

Some remarks. At the risk of repeating myself.

Communities in real need can end up being doubly exploited. Government and
public bodies tend to build-up expectations for matters of political
expediency. Then pilot projects that attract funding can often fail due to
ill-conceived social formulations or else opportunist motives. The pendulum
can tend to swing from hyped-up expectations to declarations of failure.
Meanwhile both government and incumbent telco have bought time, and market
activity evolves so that the window of opportunity for local, "first-mile"
community network projects is changed.

At our Djusrsland convention 2 years we explored issues of strategy in a
session "The Community First Mile: Strategies for Broadband Access",
foregrounding the "social" as opposed to the "technology" aspect of
community projects.

The convention also highlighted the way in which the Djurslands.net had
broken from the culture of dependancy on government and realized a
significant scale of growth through its own "self-help", "co-operative"
approach (in a rural region with strong residual traditions of
agricultural/fisherman's co-operativism). - I have not seen an update since
then, to see how the Djurslands.net project may have developed in the
evolving telecoms environment, and to what extent it may have managed to
maintain a democratic community management and  economic sustainability. Has
an updated case study of the Djursland project been produced recently?
Lessons of strategy and "politics"?

The Djursland convention also highlighted Onno Purbo's community wireless
networking activities in Indonesia, regarding a grassroots initiative
independent of government support/dependancy. Subsequently Onno presented to
an Open Spectrum UK event in London, see blog notes of his presentation here
< http://openspectrum.org.uk/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=EventOSUK01blog >. The
relevance of Onno's "rural Indonesia" activities to "the rural India
situation"?

The convention also held a workshop titled "A project that failed", where
Dave Hughes explored his wireless project activities in Wales re issues of
government funding, project development, community needs, etc.

In my last posting to this list I recommended that attention be given to
strategies for community project development, with focussed attention to the
"social" as much as the "technology" aspect of the challenge. Its a real
challenge. Its political. Otherwise history can be relied upon to repeat
itself. Well-intentioned projects bite the dust. And make no mistake, your
protagonists *are* applying their minds to putting you out of business.

Since the Djursland Institute has recieved its funding, I wonder whether it
has given attention to a White Paper on project design and strategy re
community-based assets development? Likewise any other funded advocacy
bodies that have some relationship to the "wsfii" communities of interest,
for example the OPLAN Foundation which was set up after the Djursland
convention (with World Bank funding)?

Where's the politics?

John