[wsfii-discuss] the cooperative way for India?

Ken DiPietro ken at new-isp.net
Thu Jul 6 12:58:23 UTC 2006

Vickram (et al)

I find this thread fascinating from a couple of different standpoints.
First and foremost is the dynamic we are discussing between, government,
private business and local communities. I applaud you being able to
clearly and concisely explain some of the reasons each component of this
structure is not capable of managing this work on it's own.

If that is the case, I would suggest that each one of these segments
must take responsibility for a piece of the job and this is how I would
suggest one possible solution could be implemented.

Government -  The national government in partnership with local
governments create a training facility to educate a staff of young,
resilient workers capable of deploying this equipment even under the
most adverse local conditions. Additionally, government either mandates
the manufacture of this equipment at a subsidized price or provides tax
incentives to make the manufacturers of this equipment eager to produce
it. From what I can tell, the government will also have to remove the
mountains of red tape that it seems to thrive on to make this project go
forward as well as removing any tariffs that might also add to the cost
of this equipment.

Business - Private sector must be motivated to build this equipment. I
would suggest that this could be done by using a combination of tax
incentives weighed against the threat of allowing the importation of
goods should the local businesses not meet the demand in a reasonable
time period. Specifications for interoperability as well as
environmental hardening need to be mandated. Another possibility would
be for the government to subsidize the training of qualified employees
to manufacture this equipment.

Local communities - This is where the demand is generated. One of the
ways these communities can pay for this connectivity is to supply labor
to the manufacturers as well as to the installation staff. These trained
people could return to their communities to keep the network operational
after a set period of time and it would be up to the community as well
as government to pay for the workers (or a portion of their
salary/expenses) during this time.

Please note - many of these communities will be able to work together as
this connectivity will be supplied by passing through one community on
the way to delivering to another community further down the line. It
will be critical that these groups can work together or the segment of
the network will eventually collapse.

I realize this outline is full of holes and is not intended to be a
boilerplate for how this project should be rolled out but rather a
staring point for discussion.

Respectfully,

Ken DiPietro

New-ISP.net/NextGenCommunications.net