[wsfii-discuss] the cooperative way for India?

Ken DiPietro ken at new-isp.net
Thu Jul 6 22:27:26 UTC 2006

Vickram,

Always a pleasure.

Comments inserted in-line and I took the liberty of editing the
conversation in the hope of maintaining continuity without allowing the
length to become overwhelming.

vvcrishna at radiophony.com wrote:
> I think the ability of our educational system to formally, in the short term,
> provide training and certification for unlettered village people in this skill
> is sorely lacking. I won't like to waste much space here describing why this is
> so, but I doubt many Indians will disagree.

While I have no real experience in this matter (I certainly hope to be
able to travel to India and spend time there someday) I would suggest
that the skills that need to be imparted to create this network (from a
construction/deployment perspective) are minimal and probably well
suited to someone of limited training. The work consists mainly of
climbing, attaching and pointing radios - something, ironically, that I
am totally unsuited for.

> Rather, a proposal has emerged from the wsfii process that one or more (the
> second of which I endorse) institutions be created that will provide both
> outreach for training, support and assistance, and a location where further
> research into network management and hardware be done (not all of that at each
> and every location, but a suitable mix depending on local circumstances,
> capabilities and directions of approach).

I would suggest that this is an excellent idea, one that needs to be
implemented regardless.

> The training part may be formally supported by a manufacturing major that
> happens to have a global reputation for networking.

Personally, I would rather see India form it's own industry but that may
not be possible. Seeing as this entire industry is moving to an
"off-the-shelf" commodity supply, having a manufacturer come in is
probably not where you would want to go. What I would propose is the
sourcing of the necessary parts, local manufacturing and assembly of
components that can be made locally, software written in India to drive
these radios and an industry grown complete with jobs created at all
levels to be the main goal.

> I doubt this will happen quickly. Local politics - I don't think our finance
> minister is overwhelmingly cheery about village connectivity. He certainly has
> publicly favoured a 'pragmatic' approach that is an amazing echo of the current
> US administrations' approach to foreign aid (think global, act local - source
> everything through Indian banks, and blame everyone else when the banks can't
> rise to the occasion).

Ah yes, government. There are three options as best I can see in this
case, change the government as best you are able, involve them in any
way you can or ignore them and move on without their help. As a friend
once reminded me, with any success you achieve, remember to invite them
and proclaim how much help they were not to mention how you never would
have accomplished this without their assistance. I know it's a lie, you
know it's a lie and everybody in attendance will also know but it is a
necessary courtesy that must be done - even though sometimes I wish I
could stand up and tell the truth as to how much additional work the
government caused me and how little help they actually were. <grin>

> This has not been the cornerstone of governance and policy. But things are
> changing. Still, village empowerment is not on top of any politician's agenda.

Sometimes, we need to simply eliminate the government from this end of
the equation.

> See, someone has claimed that stuff available in India is too expensive, and
> others that it is not. We need to have an information resource availabl;e and
> accessible to anyone with connectivity, that is kept up-to-date with prices and
> availability of each type of equipment needed, plus addresses and track
> record/experience of local contractors (for things like brackets and masts not
> normally available in hardware stores).

While I cannot tell you what your local prices are like I can provide
you with the necessary contacts to find out what they look like in
China. You will need to drill down into their database specifically
looking for "WiFi antenna" or "Access Points" to name two.
http://www.globalsources.com/

> This is an interesting idea - certainly practical for installation, while
> perhaps some more details need to be sweated out as far as labor for
> manufacturing goes (how many people does an SMD assembly need, anyway?)

That question varies, naturally. If you were to purchase (1) two radio
SBC (linked below) (2) Mini-PCI radios, a pigtail, an antenna and a NEMA
enclosure from my experience this list of parts can be built by one
person and tested by another at a rate of six per hour. YMMV.
http://www.pcengines.ch/pic/wrap1c1.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/mcg9e
http://tinyurl.com/qj2vr
http://tinyurl.com/lt2lw
http://tinyurl.com/o6rsk

> Definitely, for any specific geography (where language/culture are at least
> related if not identical) it will be great to encourage the train-the-trainer
> approach, where an initially small network of trained people help to get more
> people up to speed on the basics and out in the field building networks that
> deliver.

The benefits multiply exponentially as more people can train more
people. The total value is priceless.

> We must do all we can on this mailing list to build up such ideas and try and
> fill out the 'holes', so that when the summit takes place we can present firm
> plans for endorsement and support.

I'm here to help as best I can.

I wish I could attend this summit, honestly I do. Maybe we can get a
bunch of us together here in the US at the same time to brainstorm
(virtually) with you all.

Ken DiPietro

New-ISP.net/NextGenCommunications.net
Wireless solutions - not concessions.