[wsfii-discuss] Confusion on Hive and Spontaneous Networking.

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Thu Jul 13 13:55:25 UTC 2006

En/na Armin Medosch ha escrit:
> On 13 Jul 06, at 13:49, Ramon Roca wrote:
>

>> mmmm, ok. So yes, I was just introducing confusion by using the name
>> hive (in the bio-metaphor way, I'm a mid-sixties guy xD) and by simply
>> underlying "spontaneous networking" will help to better understand the
>> concept. And spontaneous networking is a new one :)
>> If by hive networking is understood just as some devices which are
>> capable of changing its firmware and must have a given number of network
>> interfaces, that definitely doesn't matches very well with what we are
>> trying to communicate with the SNP.
>>

> maybe i missed something then and I need to know more what you
> mean by spontaneous networking. what i meant with 2 network
> interfaces was just condition for any network, technically. what hive
> is about, as I understand, is to bring together wireless community
> networking with local content. people have been building wireless
> community networks for some years now, in some cases very
> successfully, but ofthen the focus is mainly creating the network as
> such. the community network is then a sort of access ramp to the
> global internet. other people wanted to emphasise more the
> communication within the free wireless infrastructure and this is what
> hive is about, people providing services for each other with networks
> which can easily be built on the fly. bt maybe this conversation is
> starting to bore other people on this list and we should continue in
> direct communication if we want. to my opinion the correspondence
> between cultural/social and technical network is always a tricky issue
> cheers
> a.

Ups... or maybe I was who missed something! xD
This definition of hive is much closer of what I was thinking on.
I've no problems with private conversations, but when talking about
private things. The best way to kill an open discussion is to switch to
private messages, so I was interested on a discussion list.
My apologies if this is off topic here, I thought that it wasn't.
If there is another list to have this discussion just let me know which
or we can always create a new one.

Cheers,
Ramon.

>> To refer to a given place where someone wants to startup a local
>> community and the problematic of vertebrating it, solving the critical
>> mass problems etc, we still can call it community.
>> For the concept of a single all wi-fi interconnected network at a medium
>> to large-scale (I mean, larger than a single AP-wLan), I've also heard
>> the word "Wireless Island"
>>
>> Many thanks to all, I appreciate.
>> Ramon.

>>> if you can re-programme it to do other things and if it has two
>>> network interfaces, yes.
>>> but let me say something else, the guys who are doing hive networks
>>> are my friends and I admire their skills and commitment. however, I
>>> find the name unfortunate. biological metaphors are so mid-nineties.
>>> then these concepts came out of MIT and such places and there was
>>> and is a certain ideology connected to it, like: hive networks, where
>>> science of complexity meets neo-liberalism. only read Out of Control
>>> by Kevin Kelly to see what I mean. I hope the free community can
>>> come up with better slogans, better names and not somehow
>>> replicate what the think tanks of swarm capitalism have already
>>> proposed
>>> best