[wsfii-discuss] Was FON in Spain - Now, can someone please explain...

james stevens james at spc.org
Tue Jul 18 10:06:36 UTC 2006

Dear Ken,

All networks would face difficulties dealing with the examples you
suggest. We can only offer each other help and assistance at a scale and
depth within our reach as collaborators, operate systems we understand
and respond to issues as they arise.

These are lightweight infrastructures and though vulnerable is many ways
are easily repairable and flexible enough to overcome obstacles.
Networks and users will always require attention and support as they
grow and develop, and will always raise issues for us to tackle.

Our "spontaneous networks" are user oriented, all involved have a
contribution to make and much to learn.

easy

James

Ken DiPietro wrote:
> To all,
>
> First off, I am going to clearly state that I am not trying to cause a
> dispute here between those who believe in open networks and those who
> do not. I am going to offer an apology, in advance, to anyone who
> feels that I am being critical in an unfair way - this is truly not my
> intention.
>
> That said, I guess I need someone (everyone?) out there to provide me
> with an education.
>
> Where I am confused is how one of these "spontaneous networks"
> operates under either a DDOS attack or a severe virus infestation.
> Having run networks that have been hit with both of those occurrences
> I believe I can speak with some authority to the devastation that can
> be wreaked either through intentional motivations or unintentional
> ignorance.
>
> If what we are talking about here is the construction of
> communications networks that will be used by overwhelmingly computer
> illiterate users, how are these issues dealt with?
>
> Thanks, I appreciate the education,
>
> Ken
>
> Dana Spiegel wrote:
>> FON is a worthwhile idea only because it will get more wi-fi deployed
>> and will raise the level of awareness. Otherwise, its a totally
>> closed network. You have to be a member (either by paying or by
>> putting up a FON router yourself) in order to get access to other FON
>> hotspots.
>>

>> Dana Spiegel
>> Executive Director
>> NYCwireless
>> dana at NYCwireless.net <mailto:dana at NYCwireless.net>
>> www.NYCwireless.net
>> +1 917 402 0422
>>
>> Read the Wireless Community blog: http://www.wirelesscommunity.info
>>

>> On Jul 17, 2006, at 3:27 AM, vvcrishna at radiophony.com
>> <mailto:vvcrishna at radiophony.com> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=33937
>>> <http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=33937>
>>>
>>> "A Spanish Internet company is selling a million wireless Internet
>>> routers for
>>> just $5 each*. But there's a catch: Buyers must share their wireless
>>> Internet
>>> connections with their friends, neighbors, or even total strangers.
>>> It's all
>>> part of a daring plan to create a nationwide WiFi network on the
>>> cheap."
>>>
>>> Reading further I see this is FON, and I have seen some
>>> 'interesting' comments
>>> about them on this forum, but (being in India) I don't know what
>>> raises humour
>>> or hackles re: FON. Do share.
>>> Vickram
>>>
>>> *Plus $8 shipping fee

James Stevens | +44 20 8123 4860 | +44 7973 318881
spc.org : consume.net : boundless.coop