[wsfii-discuss] Mapping The Merton Rule

Josef Davies-Coates josef at uniteddiversity.com
Thu Jun 1 09:12:22 UTC 2006

Hello all,

Anyone know any good flash designers who can help me with this?

I need 3 quotes ASAP for developing a map for http://themertonrule.org

What we need is something very much like the flash map shown here:
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/election2005/map/

Rather than showing the 2005 election results, however, we want to map
the list of boroughs that are in the process of adopting Merton-style
planning policies: http://themertonrule.org/list-of-boroughs

The idea is to show graphically which local authorities have adopted, or
are adopting 'The Merton Rule':
http://themertonrule.org/what-is-the-merton-rule

Those that have fully adopted it, such as Merton and Croydon, would be
shown as green on the map, whereas those that haven't even begun the
process would be shown as red etc.).

Also, when you hover over The Merton Rule map, we want a little pop-ups
  to show more details (much like the Guardian map), e.g. what
percentage of on-site renewables the borough is going for (e.g. Merton
is 10%, which means all new developments in Merton need to incorporate
enough on-site renewable energy production to reduce their predicted CO2
emissions by 10%) and a link to a page about more info about that
borough and their policy.

So, I need to get 3 quotes for doing this ASAP.

If it helps there are some outline maps of the UK here:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/freefun/outlinemaps/
(and we've got permission to use them)

I'm not sure, but I'm told that it should be pretty easy to make a flash
map like http://politics.guardian.co.uk/election2005/map/ using the EPS
vector map?

Please forward this mail on to anyone you know you may be able to help
and/or just send me a quote yourself. :)

Also feel free to call me if you have any questions I've not answered
here (07974 88 88 95)

Many thanks,

Josef.
--