[wsfii-discuss] we're forgetting 3d

Michael Lenczner mlenczner at gmail.com
Sun May 7 05:08:29 UTC 2006

This issue is getting much more attention finally.  Check out the
recent conference Metaverse Roardmap:

http://metaverseroadmap.org/

Basically they're trying to make sure that the Metaverse doesn't end
up sucking because no one paid attention to the public-good side of
it.

and Ethan Zuckerman reporting from it talking about OpenCroquet:

"One of the questions that appears to be on everyone's mind at this
gathering, though not always articulated, is the question of whether
open standards will emerge to allow interaction and compatibility
between immersive web spaces. It's pretty central to most visions of
an integrated, central metaverse… but I haven't seen a lot of
conversations about whether Second Life, for instance, will release an
API…

Watching a demo last night (in the hotel bar) of Open Croquet, the
obvious question sprang to my mind: why isn't the Immersive Web world
flocking towards this platform? "