[wsfii-discuss] Onward to Africa

Ashish Saboo contact at apiap.org
Wed Nov 8 15:12:57 UTC 2006

Dear Jurgen, Tracey, Thomas & all ,
    You just gave me one more reason to love the WSFII initiative, Thanks
for expressing your thoughts frankly.

Permit me to share one of the Indian's perspective: For Advocacy groups like
us & many others have always witnessed to a bland affair, we ( India & all
less developed countries) are comfortable with paradox of holding dialogues
on poverty alleviation in 5 star comforts cause they are funded by the
various kindred souls in well endowed countries.
	In the daily grind of running for the bread, voluntary actions are actually
well funded by advocacy group or by mavericks. Times are hard for us to come
above & offer the luxury or generosity of a broader outlook. This is not an
excuse to address your disappointment but to just to state the matter of
fact. I was keen posing a question to Richard Stellmar, India is the largest
contributor of Techies but why its contribution to open source movement is
negligible ? . WSFII was for the first times held in the emerging countries
and I hope this may address what you all mention about the cultural gap.

Now does that mean voluntary action has no meaning for emerging countries ?
I feel we need it a lot more than ever before, it is just sustainability is
more immediate concern . Its a long way before we climb the ' Maslow's
hierarchy of needs.

So I am sorry for you or Jimmy carter, Brad Pitt
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061031/people_nm/leisure_pitt_dc  If you are
disappointed. We do need your generosity in sharing your skill but at the
same time we need a direction to become independent. I am sorry if you find
' profit' a hard word interfering with your all  objectives which made you
come down to this small village.  Hope if you understand this , I assure you
won't be disappointed at the next WSFII.

The WSFII gathering was a pleasant surprise to me to get to hear some real
good people. & the excitement was a good change, yes there was a muted
animosity, but it always happens in large extended family.

Yahel himself a non Indian & TCV group have still done a wonderful job.

 Frankly  possibility of community wifi mesh & of that matter airjaldi is
still unheard of in India. now there is a lot more awareness , unfortunately
its too late to recreate.

Concrete pointers :

# The managing committee should be clearly identified for the next wsfii.
The group is important & roles assigned & it should be fairly broad based. I
felt sad for punstok running around every where
# we got to make aware of the event much more in advance, Indian press is
still unaware.
# WSFII web site resources is fine but we need local contact points too. At
the closing days of the event, I met 3 groups who wanted wifi installation &
4 groups hunting to know the know how! . So we need a platform to grow over
the spirit which the gathering has created. It is still not very late.
# Lastly just be prepared to accept a large family. it takes time from
chaotic to chaordic

Jurgen if WSFII breaks down at this point than it will further re strengthen
our lost faith in community initiatives . We are looking for the next Gandhi
from your country.

sincerely

Ashish

http://www.apiap.org