[wsfii-discuss] Onward to Africa

Tracey P. Lauriault tlauriau at magma.ca
Wed Nov 8 13:39:36 UTC 2006

Thanks Juergen!

As a new participant to this sort of event I was saddened to have
witnessed and experienced the culture clash.

I was however *very pleased* with the workshops given by *Elektra*,
*Sebastian*, *Juergen*, *Laura* and *Gina*.  I also greatly benefited
from the Air Jaldi conference portion of the event as it was a sort of
primer to the workshops for a novice like myself.  How often do you get
to meet and listen to the pioneers in a field! I however sadly missed
*Kloshii*'s radio workshop, *Cvend'*s mesh work and the fun looking
video cam stuff *Fred* had going.  However, a Naga friend attended the
event, and for him, the roadshow was not exactly attuned to his learning
style, so I hooked him up with Kloshii and Fred, et voila, he loved it
and really learned allot about  what they were doing, learned allot
about himself and  got  to experience for the first time how it is
possible to just do what you luv and share it with others.  There was
also vlogging workshops conducted by *Ryanne* and *Jay*, and I think
many of us missed those while a great number of Tibetan students got
some excellent first hand training.

*Logistics.* Again, as a novice, who traveled a very long way at great
expense and with a mission, i was torn between what i needed to know,
wanted to know and should know. Honestly i had not realized or
completely understood what the two spaces were doing.  I think there was
a communication thing missing to connect these. I think there was also a
bit of a logistical issue for participants, the roadshow was in one
building 10 min minutes walk away, the economic workshop in yet another
building and Kloshii, Cven and Fred in another, Ryanne and Jay also in
another, and the washrooms somewhere in between and lunch another 10
mins away.  It was logistically impossible to attend all concurrent
workshops.  I missed one morning of the Roadshow for an interview and it
really set me back in terms of learning and i was reluctant to miss
another time.  Then there were workshops at lunch to. Also, since
restaurants and cafe's were 5 km taxi or walk away, it was hard to stay
after the roadshow for another few hours to participate in other
workshops.  The day was jammed packed from +/- 9am sometimes right up
until 6:30 pm.  All were on separate time zones and some of us also
spent many late evenings out! I think location and logistics need to be
carefully attended to next time ( i understand how complex it was this
time), as well as communication *as all the knowledge WSFII people bring
with them combined with the spirit of knowledge sharing is above and
beyond what i expected and I would have personally loved to experience
it all.*

The *communication* part was difficult logistically because of the
geographic dispersion of the buildings, the time it took to get to
stuff, but also because access to the Internet was not always easy (for
those without a computer), and there were no paper postings of all of
the events, and i think this is how Kloshii's, Cvend's, Fred's, Jay &
Ryanne's contributions got missed and they were also not listed on the
workshop posting on the air jaldi website.   For overwhelmed time zoned
out people like myself this may have helped me get to those other
events.  Sadly i missed them, and back here in cold Canada - i kick
myself.  The bulletin board later created helped a bit.

*London folks*, I heard lots about them but did not meet any of them in
their former colony!

*As for Local participation*, i think the roadshow had +/- 65%
local/regional representation (*Tibetan, Ghadi, Punjabi, South Indian,
Philippines and Nepal*), *+/- 5 women* participants not including *Gina,
Elektra, Laura and Joy* who were workshop teachers/facilitators, and the
rest of the participants were from Canada, Germany, US, Africa, and
Columbia (did i miss any?).  The conference had only one woman speaker,
Elektra, and the audience had a lower local/regional participation
perhaps +/- 35 %.  There could have been more Asian countries
represented, as surely there are some cool wireless things happening in
Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Shanghai - China, Sri Lanka, East Timor,
Indonesia, Afghanistan, Thailand, Singapore, Laos, Vietnam, Mongolia and
Pakistan.  In East Timor, Afghanistan and Pakistan for instance I know
of some cool radio activities related to land mine awareness and women -
also the best medium for illiterate people.   Travel  funds  would have
helped them attend.

*Future* - Now that I know that WSFII & WSFIIers are an emergent
chaordic virtual organization, I know that each of us has to mobilize
our individual networks and knowledge to introduce people, initiatives
and activities to the events.  I promise to do some digging to find
stuff in Africa and get them to you all when the time comes to do so.  I
also promise to be more engaged next time!

*Questions:*
1. If i come across some cool wireless / radio type of initiatives where
do i send them?
2. Can we put together a list of case studies and if so where would they go?
3. If i want to introduce some people to the Ghana organizers, to whom
should i introduce them and how should i do this?
4. If people need funding to travel, how will this be arranged?
5. On Monday, I participated on a wireless skype roundtable, and some
people discussed how they allocated funding for participants to attend
events, how could we get that knowledge and process shared somewhere?
6. Is there some sort of repository/wiki/blog/webpage/dbase to post
stuff to?  Joy and I were discussing a centralized repository for this
type of content on skype yesterday.  Any ideas?
7.  What would be a good way to start a travel fund?

Yikes!  This is really long! Sorry gang! *Lets just say, I am inspired
by you all*!

Love
tracey

skype - lauriault123
pers. blog - serendipityoucity.blogsome.com
formal bio - https://gcrc.carleton.ca/confluence/display/GCRCWEB/Lauriault