[wsfii-discuss] Press Release: guifi.net has reached the thousands!

Jeff Buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org
Tue Oct 31 12:35:36 UTC 2006

Dear Malcolm,

I am encouraged by your coments about broadening the focus. It is not
just about access but how that access is developed so that it will eable
communities and cities to discover themselves (in the sense of seeing
the value of their own indigenous knowledge) as well as discover each
other (moving towards more south to south collaboration and get past the
colonial and neocolonial patterns of the north-south top-down model) and
in the process discovering and embracing relevant global best practices
shared via a open source development network.

> I have followed this with interest as this goes to the very heart of
> the OPLAN <www.oplan.org> proposition, namely that although the
> attention to date has been almost exclusively been focussed on
> 'internet access', the real 'prize' I believe from open local access
> infrastructure is that it will enable communities and cities to
> discover for THEMSELVES how to use the network to further support and
> enhance their EXISTING social and economic activities and help them
> 'dream' of new ways of being a community.

New ways of being a community could be seen as promoting more
flexibility in the community (seeing the role of virtual communities
that span the globe) while not sacrificing community cohensiveness.
Indeed the idea of where the process of this modern technological
transformation will take them is up to each community itself to learn to
be able to see that it is within each person's each network's and each
communities destiny to be the best in doing what is important to them in
this life.  The idea of destiny and sustainability is that we can and
should determine our own destiny so long as it is does not interfere
with other creatures human and nonhuman to exist as is their destiny in
the universe. I see this as the Prime Directive of post-industrial human
development.

> As Walter Lippmann, the influential US writer, journalist and
> political commentator said, "The role of a press is to keep a
> community in conversation with itself".   I suggest that likewise, a
> primary function and benefit of a local open access (neutral) network
> is to keep a community in /even richer /conversation with itself.
> Indeed, despite the current lemming-like swarming towards the likes of
> G-Mail and Yahoo - the opportunity for communities, once they have
> established an OPLAN, to house their own local e-mail and other
> servers - will emerge.  This localisation will not only have benefits
> of security and trust for the community itself but also ease the
> amount of traffic needlessly transitting the internet.

Many of us have known for some time that there was a challenge brewing
between those forces in the world that see the Internet as a way to
develop an alternative more authentic and community oriented models of
development and those whose simply see the Internet as a more advanced
tool for exploitating human beings. The Rand Corporation reported years
ago that the net is a notable new source of media power that threatened
to chip away at the international consensus for developing the
neoliberalism agenda of which groups like the Trilaterial Commission
were the foundation of - serving as a bulwark against countercultural
forces in the early 70s and their attempt to stimulate a more authentic,
ecologically sustainable and community oriented development process. Not
surprisingly there have been efforts by powerful institutions to coopt
the Internet as a authentic tool for the empowerment of the grassroots.

Yet what is most interesting is the possibility that the net cannot be
controlled like previous media systems because of the intent of its
founders was so firmly grounded in the countercultural community and
through mimicing ecological systems design. And so in a vitrous cycle we
now see that more ecologically and socially appropriate technologies can
and are being supported through the net to promote sustainable human
development. Whats more there is compelling evidence that the evolution
of an integrated approach that combines the best appropriate
technologies with an ICT system to effectively evaluate, modify and then
replicate them, has led to a development model that may actually be more
competitive than existing practices which tend to focus on individual
problems and focus the solution purely the application of better
technologies that often later turn out to be quite toxic and destructive.

In terms of potentially disruptive technologies, wireless is one example
that many of you are a familar with. However they are other areas of
equal importance such as distributed power and waste recovery and food
production. I have been breaking things down in terms of the core areas
of human need to try keep things at the preliminary stages as basic and
elementary as possible:

   1. Information - We need information to make the best most informed
      decisions about how to build sustainable societies - that where
      wireless and ICT comes in
   2. Energy - Distributed power makes power generation more efficient
      and less impactful on the environment by relying on more renewable
      sources of energy like solar wind and biogas. and integrated these
      technologies with the built environmet.
   3. Farming - Integrated Farming Systems reduce the need for expensive
      inputs like tractors, fuels, chemicals and fertilizers. This is
      particularly important in developing regions where the costs ot
      those imputs are what is putting the small farmers out of business.
   4. Buildings and Shetler - Similarly in many African communities you
      see metal, wood and concrete blocks. Many of these materials are
      imported from industrialized countries despite the fact that all
      the materials needed to build these buildings exist in these
      community.

The problem is the locals have been encouraged by western development
institutions to literally forget their indigenous ways of doing things.
This pattern repeated in all the sectors mentioned above is a major
reason why local communities have no money for improving their local
infrastructure and indeed improve their lives in a meaningful way. They
are making bad investment decisions by listening to the advice of many
western development agencies. We also need to see that the difference
between the so called developed and undeveloped worlds is a false
paradigm and that the same patterns of dependency are encouraged in
affluent regions - albiet the income and amenities differenc is
obviously staggering and significant..

> Although we certainly need to fight to maintain  INTERnet -neutrality
> - we need to fight to WIN LOCALnet neutrality.

The bottom line is these terms net netrality etc are really about
whether or not the net is about helping people to realize their human
potential and in that process their destiny or about top down
instiutions gaining even more power from communities via parasatic
institutions under the control of national and international elites .

It is of course not so simple as to say that all top level leaders and
institutions are corrupt as we see even Tony Blair recognizes that
Global Climate Change is a threat to humanitys future, but in my view it
is not just about finding a solution to Global Climate Change but doing
so as part of a process that paves the way for a new global development
model that translates into more power for the common people at the
community level. I do believe the kind of system you are talking about
here can be pivotal in that process.

I share with you the work I have done at a wiki space that was given to
us. It is a work in progress but begins to sketch out a model that I
think compelments what you are saying:
http://www.findbetterways.info/wiki.cgi?UnityCenter

I hope that on a practical level we can build an online infrastructure
that can serve a knowledge base repository (to complement the physical +
wireless Resource Centre infrastructure part of the wsfii vision). I am
inspired by Doug Engelbart's vision to improve not just the level of
technology held by people in these communities but more importantly to
use that technology to improve the ways that they use existing
technologies by facilitating greater community collaboration to improve
humanity collective intelligence. This on a global level is needed to
truly and sustainably solve world urgent issues like Global Climate
Change and AIDS.

Jeff