[wsfii-discuss] Live video conference - for real?

Fred Pook fredpook at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 14:18:26 UTC 2006

Hi,
Does anybody on the list have experience with setting up Live Video
feeds and/or Video conferencing?
What setup was used?
Did it work even with multiple participants?
Was it open-source/free software?
Where there any subscription costs involved?
Was it possible to record while broadcasting?

I am asking all this because I want to make sure we will have at least
some form of live video coming from Dharamsala during the AirJaldi
Summit and WSFII starting 22th october. I constantly hear
announcements of video confs but I actually never have seen one happen
for real.

For instance to day is OneWebDay and announced "NYCwireless will be
hosting a live video conference with community wireless groups around
the world" but where do I find it today?

I've done some research and found two solutions interesting:
1 is free software based on Java,Ogg.Theora - http://www.freecast.org/
2 is commercial but priced "friendly" - http://www.sightspeed.com/

Any help here?
Thanks Fred