[wsfii-discuss] Some thoughts about tonight meeting in London

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Thu Sep 28 00:00:21 UTC 2006

I'm in the train back to Reading after having a meeting with a few
people from London (free2air.net, spontaneous networking, consume...). I
don't mention names just because I don't remember some of them! :(

That was a heavy and interesting discussion for me, with people who are
almost dinosaurs (in the good sense, I mean, since the origins of the
wireless comms paradigm) in the activism for the free networks.I just
want a share my thoughts trying to obtain a summary emphasizing the
relevant points we have talk about before falling to sleep.

-To make somewhat global happens, a lots of things must occur
simultaneously in many areas, starting from people, knowledge,
resources, etc. That's not a short term task. Also not affordable to
anyone individually and even for a Local Community. But still makes
sense and could happens. Maybe not as fast as we would like, but steps
forward are being done.

-WSFII is right now the place to share globally thoughts (like this) and
also projects/ideas/experiences. If we miss a place to get in touch, we
do simply does not exist as a global initiative, and it fits perfectly
in the WSFII spirit. If the list gets too much traffic maybe then will
makes sense to fork between other lists, i.e. for technical development,
users, politics, whatever which makes sense, but not before this becomes
necessary, don't care: very likely will happens spontaneously if really
becomes a need.

-After Dharmsala event, could be nice to have one in Europe. Lots of us
will miss Dharmsala because of the logistics that Dharmsala implies.
Barcelona area could be a good place: We already run annually a local
event for Catalonia (we cal it SAX), we can just "upgrade" it to be a
WSFII event. Spain also might be a good place to plan a travel for many
Europeans if we do schedule it for the early next summer.

-Trust relationships and honest unfortunately are still very basic.
Things like WSFII events, Wizards of WOS, Summer Camps etc. helps a lot
but the story doesn't have to end there. Open discussions are another
key. Lastly but not last, free/neutral networking concept might have a
few variations, but still makes sense to get some consensus of which are
the basics, PPA and WCL might no be very friendly but helps on that
direction, without such things, we are always in danger to be spoiled by
somebody with some lack of ethics and happy to bring confusion into the
field. There are already a few examples of that which I don't like to
mention just to avoid to bring them more free into the crawlers for
free. Those are just distinct stories.

-Sharing mechanisms, publishing information and solutions, self
discovery of services, etc have been the most discussed topics. Those
things are critical to make free networks a exists, survive and scale,
which means gain momentum and build success. We have to be always hungry
in those directions, never happy enough. They are key since we will
never have enough resources, so it's important to be inspired while
administrating them. That also means although we can discuss many ideas
and visions, we can't never miss the real world and be somewhat
pragmatic. Execution counts a lot, everybody executes what they like or
is motivated for, as long as we are able to share every single/small
execution, either for sharing as a common brick, or to make it reusable
elsewhere, that will help us in building the big thing.

And some of the bricks could be:
-Standards for network description in some universal interfaces,
regardless of language/cultural barriers. That could be done in various
ways, like XML. Before today I was referring to this concept by
"nodexchange", Alexei pointed that might be better understood if we call
it "CML" (Community Markup Language), which means the ability to
describe a whole networks with all its contents.
-Global mapping resources.
-Services which might be self announced into the network without having
to be provisioned by any application.

Ok. The train got into Reading. It's 00:10am already, not that bad given
that stopped for a while (I though that British Railways where near to
perfect, maybe I was not lucky today and I've got the exception). Now
it's time to go to sleep, I'll have a hard job tomorrow... but lets post
this, and feel free to reply either to better summarize concepts or
point anything that I might missed. I'm just going a send this as soon
as I get connected at the Hotel, so expect a few typos/missed points here.

Ramon.-