[wsfii-discuss] Economic Sustainability of Community Wireless(sorry had to resend due to incorrect hyperlink)

Assoc of Public ICT Tools Access Prov list at apiap.org
Tue Apr 10 11:06:36 UTC 2007

Ramon,
   Sorry you misunderstood me.  I am not here to belittle  your & the rest
contribution. In fact people like me are over whelmed by the  empathy.  but
unfortunately despite all the money & mind , still little trickles down to
where it matters most.  Guifi & others work is indisputably admirable & if
the same way it happens in the rest of the world that will be great.

Unfortunately from what ever I saw & got to hear in Dharamshala , tells me
we need to adopt different models.
Cooperative approach is possible in participation of equals.   It worked
well for Catalonia .

but in the rural area of  Asia &  Africa where  70% + of population do not
know how to read.  ( In Catalonia its reverse ) . Thus addressing issues
like basic literacy is way ahead of  digital literacy . The funds are too
short,  to take care of basic Infrastructure  or  health care. & here  we do
have hope  bridging the digital divide = access to information maybe a
panacea to attack this multi hydra  monster  of perennial deprivation.
Thus investment in local  community networks is met with skepticism.

& Here one fine day  A good Samaritan offers this dope , build the
infrastructure  from the donation  he/ she has gathered .  He has everyones
goodwill .  but still it failed to address many  of the issues promised .
Eventually the good Samaritan has to leave . but the locals do not even
know too well to  manage  nor are able to prioritise the funds in
maintaining it.  Thus eventually everything  is back to square one . The
donors are hurt .  The locals bitter, They too invested their precious time
= money .

The case is not merely of misplaced expectation  but  lack of patience &
competence.  Thus eventually  such projects maybe looked with deep suspicion
.

You may also wonder as why there is limited participation  in the  open
source movement & in International forum discussing Internet governance from
III & IVth world  nations.

While you highlighted the ugly part of the large corporates .  I am willing
to experiment  for  an open partnership  opportunities.
To clarify what attracts me to the "FON  networks" type of opportunity  is
they give an opportunity to all stake holder to make money out by hosting
the hub- the social router. & may make a very attractive proposition to get
a wider base of participation. This promises to get the quintessential
ubiquity of  network possible & faster.

The Big brother in the centre as my partner in  prosperity also promises to
be responsible  at the time of adversity. like network attacks etc. &
sustain me before I get the results.  I see it worth while to pay the  Big
brother for reliability. & willing to sacrifice my certain freedom , to
assure him take a greater risk on behalf of us . for I do not know the
outcome even for many years after the network has been setup.  The choice of
technology is  bewildering & it is still evolving .  This approach may bring
committed partners.

Now having said that,  I do agree to your  cautions  if I am locked in a
proprietary technology & where the  Big brother fails to deliver should
certainly worry me.  My premium for partnership is for hand holding ,
capability to deliver & dependability.   nothing more.  Maybe Under a bigger
Umbrella say like WSFII . It will ensure I am not talked down because I am
small & help me find an alternative  if my current service provider
consistently disappoints me.

Regards

Ashish