[wsfii-discuss] Economic Sustainability of Community Wireless

jeff buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org
Fri Apr 20 02:39:01 UTC 2007

Marco, Horst, All

The key thing to keep in mind is that despite all the hype there is
truly something revolutionary out there can help us to work together in
new and exciting ways. It's a matter of bringing what is out there in
here.

And of course it is not so much about the technology but how people use
that technology to develop new ways of getting things within the
emerging information economy.

Finally what we see now is not anything like what the long term picture
will be. We are in transitional phase. To better understand the dramatic
changes and their possible consequences you might be better off reading
a William Gibson novel than in say listening to what the tech sages are
saying.

The point here though is to consider the thesis or hypothesis or
synthesis that we can from all this information, technology and
networked human resources use technology for grassroots empowerment and
in that process manage the role of corporations/top-down players so that
they have opportunities but within a clearly defined playing field.

If we can create such a dynamic in our networks then it is at that point
when we can be sure that the hype will start manifesting into reality -
OUR reality.

Jeff