[wsfii-discuss] [Fwd: [bytesforall_readers] PC with MSWindows/Office for $53? How Feasible? Can it help empower the poor?]

jeff buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org
Fri Apr 20 22:10:48 UTC 2007

MS is a lumbering giant suddenly awakening the fact its global
domination is at risk.

Yet I think the idea that open source is actually free is simplifying a
complex global ecosystem in which of course OS must fund itself
somewhere. Total Cost of Ownership TCO is a term used to describe the
total cost of the software in terms of training, upgrades,
troubleshooting etc over the long haul.

The issue is not free but the design of appropriate cost structures and
effective and easy to use software infrastructures suitable to
grassroots empowerment.

Most of all is the issue of how it is all framed what is the cost?

I don't care about the cost in that if it is free and provides no added
value it may as well cost a million dollars per station!

The point is what is the added value that the investment provides?

If the investment can be financed so that the added value it provides
can be paid back over time with a surplus left over for community
development, then we have a compelling value proposition in that the
additional investment can be justified. Better yet is a equity sharing
so that there are no debt burdens but a portion of any profits go back
to the support & implementation supply chain.

So what I want to know is what is the added value that software will
provide over the long term and part of an integrated community
development infrastructure and how this translates into a multiplier
effect that will rapidly improve local conditions in emerging markets
both with additional knowledge and awareness of how to solve problems
and how to translate that knowledge into economic value to promote
sustainable development.

Jeff