[wsfii-discuss] Workshops at WSFII Africa 2007

jeff buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org
Wed Apr 25 15:35:34 UTC 2007

Fred,

We need to get this idea of OpenDIV sorted out.

I feel it may be confusing people with regards to all these different
names Resources Centers, OpenDIV and Open Digital Village.

I feel the name is not important really the convergence of people
around empowering networks is.

However OVF has recently invested a lot in the naming Open Digital
Village and a booklet has actually been published on it that we plan to
post online soon.

So I'd like us to get clear on how this what we have done relates to
Open Div.

Jeff

Hi Thomas,

This process of linking and sharing resources is what opendiv.org is
for. the website of OpenDiv will contain best practices and announce
and collect data from worldwide "Free Information Infrastructures".

The actual networks are, if we agree on it or if each community agrees
on it, called OpenDiv.net like the one in Winneba would be called
winneba.opendiv.net . the structure of these networks will be based on
the experiences at FreiFunk.net since they have the most worked out
experience in this field. In fact the thinking for opendiv.org is just
freifunk.net but because nobody can pronounce or understand the word
freifunk, a new word was made up and that is opendiv.

Gathering and Meetings, Workshop etc. are done by WSFII (World Summits
on Free Information Infrastructures) as usual.

Sorry , if earlier I did not explain the roles of the 4 structures,

Thanks Freddy

On 4/25/07, Thomas M. <tmaketa at allequal.org> wrote:
> I'm more and more thinking of linking all wireless network of Africa
into an
> association where we could plan and share resources, Association with
more
> experience like Wireless Ghana could share experience with association
busy
> being created like those of Congo and others...
>
> The funding is a real problem we are facing the same thing and in fact
we
> noticed that we have become ourselves the funder!!!!
>

> On 4/25/07, Fred Pook <fredpook at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for the good work, Marco,Daniel and Kloschi!
> >
> > Opendiv.org aka http://opendigitalvillage.org is shaping up.
> >
> > I like to remind everybody there is a Prepconf
> > planned on: May 3-18, 07 in Winneba,  Ghana to support the "Winneba
> > Linux User Group" in their effort to build the Wireless Local Mesh
> > (see: http://www.wilugghana.org/ ) .
> > This prepconf has been postponed before because of lack of funding.
> > Are we going to raise the funds this time, in time?
> >
> > We need funds from independent sources that focus on real concrete
> > technical solutions in Africa and other under served communities in
> > the world.
> >
> > Lets brainstorm here on this list on ideas where to find this
> > independent funder and lets continue the brainstorm in Berlin at the
> > WirelessCommunityWeekend aka wcw2007 (see:
> > https://snr.freifunk.net/trac/wcw) starting this Thu
> 26|04|2007 till
> > Sun 29|04|2007at c-base.
> >
> > That reminds me that I don't even have funding to travel to Berlin
nor
> > that I know where to sleep but I guess I will find a solution for
> > these small problems soon :-)
> >
> > See You Soon at C-Base
> >
> > Thanks Freddy
> >

> > On 4/24/07, marco <marco.pompe at web.de> wrote:
> > > hi all
> > >
> > > first a short reminder: the wiki for our WSFII 2007 (opendiv.org)
is in