[wsfii-discuss] Economic Sustainability of Community Wireless

Ian Howard ihoward at netdotworking.com
Fri Apr 27 12:44:39 UTC 2007

Hi Vickram, all,

I would like to comment on your point. Quite flattered that you referred
to our project in Mali (thanks!). Combining an FM radio is a great thing
to do (internet access + FM). There are some natural synergies. We found
that a wireless micro-ISP + FM were quite complementary, the FM station had:
- a tower (just be careful as 100BT Ethernet is near to the same freq as FM)
- power (though analogue equipment can spike the line)
- people who know how to do cabling and understand radio propagation,
transmitters etc.
- a need for information (this is their product so it is very, very
important)
- they tend to be well located and are often focal points of communities

In all, giving a local radio station internet access is a great way to
improve the quality of information being sent to its listeners (that is
the economic boon). Unfortunately, I have seen the case where an
internet project at a radio station can bankrupt the radio station.
Putting a WISP at an FM radio is not an economic solution as a WISP is
not likely to generate much money and is risky. Co-locating a project at
a radio stations premise is often logical, but tying it financially is
not always good for the radio.

Generally, I have found that few telecentres, nor small community
wireless ISP enterprises generate real income. That is, they tend to
require continual subsidization and often do not make it on their own.
There are a few rare examples that contrast what we have observed,
though many of the WISPs installed at FM radio stations in Mali did not
follow the best-practices that we developed. Our partners ignored those
and so few of those networks still work today.

On the OneVillage site, I do see some vocabulary which I very much agree
with, that is of a telecentre, being like a locus for promoting other
activities. That it serves as an incubator. In particular the word
"demonstrate" is in keeping with the philosophies that we have been
leaning to, such as in the phrase, "Demonstrate the economic viability
of sustainable development, promoting a variety of appropriate
sustainable technologies and approaches suitable to local conditions and
preferences." We believe that some models should be simply that, to
demonstrate something, for the purpose of testing it and showing people
(training) them. Then, you later close the doors and if local people
want that network, they will build it, as they will know how (if the
project was done right).

To get back to your mention of FM, I might simply redirect your
reference to state what is most important is that the network fulfils
some crucial need of the community, such as an FM radio is hungry for
information, or that farmers need to know market info. If the network
then fulfils a real need, than the network will be kept alive by the
community. It will then have economic value.

Cheers!

Ian