[wsfii-discuss] Economic Sustainability of Community Wireless

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 28 08:13:14 UTC 2007

Actually the 'I' part of the 'wisp' is the unnecessary
part. Not that it has no purpose, but that the cost of
providing internet connectivity may be infructuous, as
Ian points out.

On the other hand, the wireless data network can help
significantly change the total cost of the FM
establishment, by enabling FM tx points within a short
range (a few km) be set up at each node to work either
maually or through centrally managed control. Nodes
need not be heavy enough to be used in a manned mode
(ie, they need not include mouse, keyboard, monitor or
hard disks).

Distributing the FM tx like this will massively reduce
the FM component. Having the intelligent nodes gives
the opportunity to set up more than one learning
center, and of course once internet connectivity costs
can be met or a suitably economical manner of
connecting (there are several models of punctuated
connectivity) is established, then the utility of the
entire setup exponentially increases. Better not to
get too fixated on internet connectivity as an
objective. Even local datanets (country- or
region-wide nets) will likely pay off in terms of
extending capabilities of local people.

This is of course theoretical, but I do think there is
tremendous scope for testing various configurations.

--- Ian Howard <ihoward at netdotworking.com> wrote:

> - a need for information (this is their product so
> it is very, very
> important)
> - they tend to be well located and are often focal
> points of communities
> Unfortunately, I have seen the
> case where an
> internet project at a radio station can bankrupt the
> radio station.
> Putting a WISP at an FM radio is not an economic
> solution as a WISP is
> not likely to generate much money and is risky.

Vickram