[wsfii-discuss] Economic Sustainability of Community Wireless + honest assessment

Ian Howard ihoward at netdotworking.com
Sat Apr 28 18:53:59 UTC 2007

Ashish, Tomas, et al.,

YES! I completely agree, on a few of your points. In particular, "honest
assessment" is certainly lacking. I noticed that recently a telecentre
book was published. It, unfortunately does lack some of what I would
call best practices. Moreover, as you allude there is a significant
drought in the amount of honest assessments, or what I might call
critical review and development of these best practices. I have begun to
solicit funding for such case studies, though I have found that no donor
is interested. In part I see why. Such studies would in part be airing
laundry, both good and some bad. So, no one is interested in this. I am
very keen to have some rigorous studies, with best practices done. For
it to be meaningful there needs to be a significant number of
practitioners on board. That momentum is something that I am hoping that
we can build, perhaps WSFII and Ghana will be the right forum to do so.
I am hoping that eventually that we find funding from some bipartisan
organization (one that is less interested in politics and more
interested in good development), to help support this initiative.
Eventually, what I truly think will be good, is not only to have a body
of continually developing best practices, but also, to have a group of
ICT auditors who have bipartisan funding and who will review projects
critically and report them to the development community. These auditors
will serve that function that auditors and journalists serve in other
communities, that is to keep projects honest and also to make sure that
people are following best-practices. This is something that I hope to
help coalesce. I presume that there are already a few efforts to do
similar things. What I am particularly keen to do is to develop a few
assessment standards and to lead a few of these assessments so to
develop such best practices. If others are interested in that, please do
let me know.

Ian