[wsfii-discuss] Researchers have found a new way for attackers to change critical settings on home routers.

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 27 02:53:19 UTC 2007

Fascinating.

Clearly information that wsfii people should know.
While attention to passwords may seem to be a given,
for many reasons informal and grassroots networks
(just like home networks) may want to use unprotected
settings for a while, and this could become a habit.

We need to highlight the risks, to encourage avoiding
such practices.

http://www.technologyreview.com/printer_friendly_article.aspx?id=18231

<http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/15567281.asp>/
> [...]
> attacker can easily
> change which domain-name server the victim uses as
> an Internet
> directory. "It's like the attacker has replaced your
> phone book with a
> new one," Ramzan says. "So now you're getting
> addresses from the
> attacker's phone book."
>
> The next time the victim goes to his or her bank's
> website, for example,
> the Web browser might be redirected to an imitation
> site. This fake
> site, run by the attacker, is used to capture the
> victim's log-in and
> password information.
>
> Ramzan insists that this wouldn't take a lot of
> skill. "This particular
> attack is very powerful in that regard. The attacker
> doesn't have to be
> that technically sophisticated to mount it."
>
> Fortunately, fixing the problem is also simple. "The
> easiest way to
> defend against this kind of attack is to change your
> [router's
> configuration] password," says Ramzan.
> Unfortunately, router
> manufacturers don't require users to establish new
> passwords because
> they want their software to be easy to use.
>
> "They wanted to simplify the process, so they made
> it so that people
> weren't really prompted or encouraged to change the
> password," Ramzan
> says. "My feeling is that it's a pretty easy change
> [for the router
> companies] to make."
>
> Another easy fix: make the default password unique.
> The password could,
> for example, be set initially to the product's
> serial number. While the
> attacker could still attempt to guess at the serial
> number, each failed
> log-in attempt would alert the user with an error
> message.
>
> But Ramzan says the root of the problem isn't the
> configuration
> password. The real issue is that a Web page can be
> used to reconfigure a
> router's settings at all. That, he says, is what
> security experts will
> need to address going forward.
>
> The router researchers say that they haven't yet
> seen anyone actually
> launch such an attack, and they hope their work will
> raise awareness so
> that people change their passwords before it becomes
> a real issue.
>
> "It's an interesting discovery," says Jeff Gennari,
> an Internet security
> analyst with _CERT_ <http://www.cert.org/>, a
> computer-security
> coordination center established by various U.S.
> federal agencies,
> including the U.S. Department of Defense, and run by
> Carnegie Mellon
> University's Software Engineering Institute.
> "Uncovering these types of
> configuration problems brings to light how

Vickram