[wsfii-discuss] Re: wsfii-discuss Digest, Vol 23, Issue 15

l annison l.annison at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 20:46:42 UTC 2007

> 20Mbps ? Is the number right ?
>
> 20Mbps for video sounds overkill. IIRC, HD-TV usually is anywhere
> between 2-4Mbps for video-conferencing.
>
> 20Mbps was for an OPTIMAL service ie bells and whistles.

As I said and Dave has illustrated, there are ways to deliver all sorts of
services on far lower bandwidths. Necessity is the mother of invention and
many small rural networks are delivering essential services over extremely
limited bandwidth. However, I would hate to try and diagnose someone based
on seeing a few inches of them at a time!

I saw Skype being used in Bolivia to get remote reports and news into radio
stations about blocked roads, accidents, farming prices etc where there was
no mobile coverage and few landlines. The fact is though that the more
bandwidth that is available, the better.

We have just been involved in getting satellite connectivity out to schools
in Ghana for Comic Relief and it is appalling what the satellite companies
think they can get away with charging to developing nations. Time for a
Fairtrade ISP?? (See Bandwidth over Africa for more details
http://www.great-technology-company.co.uk/)

Lindsey