[wsfii-discuss] OLSR-NG kickoff

tryo tas tastryo at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 20:06:03 UTC 2007

hope that cannibal cooks in 'schnitzelhaus'

aaron <aaron at lo-res.org> wrote:
Dear reader,

we - http://www.funkfeuer.at - a free wireless community network
in Vienna - are proud to announce our first official olsr-ng
workshop. If you happen to be around in Vienna on

* Saturday, 27th of January
* 14:00 - 18:00 (going out & party afterwards, open end)

then feel invited to join us at our http://olsr.funkfeuer.at - OLSR-
NG project presentation.

* Location: http://www.metalab.at/wiki/Lage

Who should attend?
==================

* Researchers and students of computer sciences or similar fields who
are interested in working in the field of mobile ad-hoc networks
(MANETs)
* You should be good at C programming in addition

What is OLSR-NG?
================

Worldwide, many community WLAN networks work with OLSR (RFC 3626) as
a base internal routing protocol (c.f. www.olsr.org for a
reasonable implementation).
However the most commonly used implementation from olsr.org has -
although it is very adaptable and in fact was adapted many times - a
few drawbacks which we can notice in real existing WLAN community
networks.

Thanks to our sponsor www.netidee.at (IPA/www.nic.at) we are able to launch a
bounty competition for enhancing OLSR. We call this new project "OLSR-
NG" (next generation). But you can substitute any name you like -
batman-olsrmix or whatever. The point being:

>> The very best approaches and patches for OLSR will be rewarded
with money prizes in addition <<<

The central goals of OLSR-NG are:

* scalability: we want to scale up to 1000+ nodes (real world, not
simulation)
if possible. Simulations will be helpful but won't count.
* improve and/or replace the basic algorithms (fisheye/ETX/MPR/...)
* improve the C code for the current olsr.org implementation
(+security audit)
* write a new RFC from the results we have learned .

Details will be presented on Saturday, 27th. of Jan. (language will
be english for international guests)

Thanks go to funkfeuer.at and especially www.netidee.at (NIC.AT /IPA) who
made this possible.

---- snip ----

Program
==========

14:00 opening, general intro, what is freifunk, what is funkfeuer,
what is OLSR-NG ?
problem description
15:00 break
15:15 intro into OLSR and other MANET protocols (same presentation
as dec 2006)
16:00 break
16:15 Detailed Description of the olsr.org algorithms and currently
implemented improvements (ETX,fisheye)
16:45 Code demonstration & analysis (by Bernd Petrovitsch)
16:15 break
17:30 Details of new algorithm ideas... forming of groups for special
topics
. ...

19:00 going out to a typical "Schnitzelhaus" [1]

[1] Adlerhof, Burggasse 51, http://www.lokalfuehrer.at/?site=detail&id=1469