[wsfii-discuss] Re: indicators

Patrice Riemens patrice at xs4all.nl
Sat Mar 10 09:04:32 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 08:35:29AM +0300, John Kibuuka wrote:
> The indicators and the data are amazing!! Its unbelievable to see countries
> that we all thought should be ahead of the pack like the US in America,
> Tunisia (recently hosted the WSIS) far down the line.
>
> Botswana, very much plagued by war for over 30 years, being the only country
> with more more isps per capita income!
>
> Thanks for this info Tracey!
>
> John Kibuuka

Sorry John, but what you write here sounds a bit naive:

(i) The US are known to lag behind everytime there is a technology that
would benefit more from being run as a public infrastructure/utility or at
least be well regulated for the public interest's sake than to be turned
into a private facility/ investment/ profit machine: see mobile phones,
cable Tv and broadband deployment, etc etc

(ii) Botswana in war for 30 years? Not hat I know. When? (I stayed there
in 1987/88 - unasy situation because of Apartheid S.Africa, but war...
Botswana was even locked in a custom union with its unpalatable neighbour)

cheers, patrizio and Diiiinooos!