[wsfii-discuss] Re: wsfii-discuss Digest, Vol 25, Issue 19

l annison l.annison at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 02:26:34 UTC 2007

> Hi everyone,
>
> Sascha Meinrath from CuWin and I are putting together a special issue of
> the
> Journal of Community Informatics (
> http://www.ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej)
> on Community Wi-Fi.  We are especially looking for 500 to 1000 word "Field
> Notes" that describe community Wi-Fi projects in different contexts. I
> hope
> people on this list will contribute to help share their projects with a
> wider audience, and exchange best practices.  We would love to see short
> summaries by around April 15 and final writing by June 1. More details
> below.
>
> Alison Powell
> Île Sans Fil, Montreal
>
> This post, combined with the previous one about creating video footage
about wsfii type projects, are of great interest to me personally as they
have cropped up in UK conversations for several years, and particularly
recently.

It has always seemed to be one area where community wi-fi/broadband networks
haven't always hit the mark - whether with governments, funders, local
authorities, establishing credibility with consumers etc. Mainly, it has
seemed, cos we are so busy trying to get the solutions to work, that there
is little time for self-promotion.

In each community, and globally, we have a mix of skills. Techies, support,
coders, promoters, grant seekers etc.

I would like to propose, in light of the posts about case studies and video
footage, that we get together those who are very interested in the marketing
and promotion side of community broadband networks, and talk amongst
ourselves. Just from last week's talks with Freifunk and Funkfeuer for some
EU research for the rural broadband conference in Brussels in May, we have
found that we have contacts between us covering most of the EU, and then
some in US, Asia and Australia. Errr... in fact, global contacts!! After
all, this community broadband world is not very big, yet. ;o)

If everyone could decide which event to go to this summer in EU (!), perhaps
we could have one track for those of us interested in promoting community
broadband activity, and tie it in with the amazing work coming from the
other side of the Atlantic through Sasha, Alison etc, and in Asia, and start
making a much bigger impact by working together.

Or just start it all online through a separate list about promotional
activity to get the word out about the grassroots' efforts ongoing across
the world?

I'm happy to be amongst the UK/EU contacts more than happy to get involved
in that type of work, and push to get together TV/video footage, and
publicise the case studies etc created by us all wherever we are.

Let's JFDI?!

ATB
Lindsey Annison
l.annisonatgmail.com
Co-founder, Access to Broadband Campaign
http://www.ABCampaign.org
Founder member, Community Broadband Network
http://www.broadband-uk.coop
Author: JFDI Community Broadband: Wennington
http://www.lulu.com/content/488550