[wsfii-discuss] Define: What is WSFII / WSFII Africa?

Ian Howard ihoward at netdotworking.com
Sat May 26 15:04:42 UTC 2007

Marco, All,

My impression was that WSFII was not just about CWN, it was about
promoting an alternative to the propreitary discussions that tend to
dominate most summits, such as the WSIS. This idea emerged as a way to
promote these open infrastructures, technologies and models. That at
least is what I recall. We changed the name to summitS in London, to
imply that there would be several of these events that could happen in
multiple locations. The event has largely focused on wireless
networking, naturally, but in London there were numerous other related
projects and I think that in Africa discussions about fibre, internet
exchange points, open source development etc should also be brought in.
I think that it is best to have WSFII Africa focus on Africa, but yes,
bringing guests from around the world will enrich the event and will
also help to disseminate what we learn elsewhere.

Ian