[wsfii-discuss] fon/meraki/community meshes differentiated ..

maxigas maxigas at anargeek.net
Tue Oct 2 23:04:36 UTC 2007

hi!

(it's good to hear from you, Vickram Crishna! i will promptly send an
update on the Budapest situation, only i have to find time to write
it.)

i don't completely agree with you. if there are companies which sell
cheap routers, why not buy them (until we can make our own, of
course)? if the license which comes with them doesn't allow flashing,
why not liberate them? hardware wants to be free as well!

for example linksys has similar profit on selling their wrt54gl line
which most people flash with a free firmware and mod in different
ways.

perhaps this method is not sustainable, but i don't think Meraki or
Fon have so much money on their software solutions. i think the more
people buy their hardware, the richer they get. and the pirate users
don't put any stress on their servers either!

what is the Bretton Woods trap?

maxigas