[wsfii-discuss] Some words about upcoming POLARIS firmware release from France Wireless

michel memeteau mmemeteau at marseille-wireless.org
Thu Sep 27 18:39:17 UTC 2007

Hi everybody,

I'm cross posting Wsfii & freenetwoks mailiing to reach a max of people.

I m part of France Wireless :  a group gathering most of the wireless groups
in France as Redlibre in spain for example.

We worked together to make the setup of a Wireless node ( Mesh + captive
portal ) for gratis access. the current name of the firmware is POLARIS. We
use freifunk and wifidog mostly ( and tinyproxy if needed ) .

the TRAC is here : http://dev.wireless-fr.org , sorry as english translation
is not ready , you can browse it
<http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=fr%257Cen&u=http://dev.wireless-fr.org/wiki&prev=/language_tools>through
google translate :

Current firmware is
here<http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%253A%252F%252Fdev.wireless-fr.org%252F&langpair=fr%257Cen&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%252Flanguage_tools>

and setup guide
here<http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=fr%257Cen&u=http://dev.wireless-fr.org/wiki/NodeWifidog&prev=/language_tools>

We release in few Weeks the POLARIS 0.2 : see the
roadmap<http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=fr%257Cen&u=http://dev.wireless-fr.org/roadmap&prev=/language_tools>

This project is just a playground , I guess most of your communities have
already an easy to setup firmware for meshing & captif portal. Oui aim is
not to do better than all the other projects but to gather simple
requirement to make my mother being able to create a free hotspot with her
WRT  .....

So this mail is more to do a summary of what has been done in each
community; I remember

   - Melbourne ( australia ) has done a web based firmware generator
   - red libre , I don't remember
   - Wifree project is quite dead ?
   - and I guess there are several other projects  ?

i'd like to know if you feel like me that wireless access could be more
spread if an easy installer for available for current flashable devices.

thanks for your attention :-)

--
Michel memeteau
VOIP | Visio: sip:freechelmi at gizmoproject.com