[wsfii-discuss] Outbreak of mesh, in the wild

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 14 02:59:23 UTC 2008

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14534

The blog entry is by someone who has been working on delivering VoIP as an attractor for a rural mountain-region network. According to a report in Slashdot:

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/13/1225259&from=rss

"A blogger on The Tech Report details his research and testing of wireless voice communication options for remote mountainous villages
in rural undeveloped areas. The home-built project involves open-source
software, low-cost wireless routers, solar power, mesh networking,
unlicensed radio frequencies and VoIP technology. Although his research began several months ago,
he has concluded the first stage of testing and is preparing to move
near one of the sites where he hopes to eventually install the final
functional network. Anyone with experience or ideas on the subject is
invited to offer input and advice."

What is great about a movement like WSFII is that it does not take 'members' to make something happen, but people are ready when somebody is doing something interesting, or has something to offer, or needs help.

The blogger mentions awareness (well-referenced) of many of the networks who contribute to these discussions, and invites help.

Vickram
http://communicall.wordpress.com
http://vvcrishna.wordpress.com