[wsfii-discuss] guifi.net project in India

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Tue Oct 28 09:52:02 UTC 2008

I don't know in depth about Orangemesh/Openmesh.com

By the first look, speaking in general terms, our platform intends to
build the mesh at application level, and not rely to a certain
technology/firmware or hardware, instead tries to support as many of
them as possible and be aligned to what's widely available in a given
point at the market for end users.

I would say that is an evolution of the systems which were taking care
of websites to support wireless communities, with things like forums,
news, manage network ranges allocations, maps and LOS tools and
publishing network information, but now including much more
functionality. The closest example I've seen of this type of apps is we
wind, used in Athens.

To give you some examples, for instance and about the IP provisioning,
is not simply about provisioning an addres to the user or to the router,
is both. An end user can come to the website, describe what the network
segment he is providing by filling simple forms, and by doing that, get
IP's and configuration scripts to excuted at the routers but without
having to know about dynamic protocols or require assistance from a
human network administrator.

The platform also has a distributed application to monitor the network
in real time from several "graph servers", to enhance the kind of
functionality which was typically provided by applications like cacti or
nagios, but with the need to scale and unassisted from network
administrators. I.e. if you go to a page of a certain node, you'll have
that information available, as well as capabilities to check things like
pings, traceroutes, as well to find "soft" routes and display them over
the maps, as en example go to http://guifi.net/cepa, which is one node
with many connections, so you can play with all the available links.

Regarding to the user provisioning for portals, or captive portals, has
also an application for doing so, also managed by the users itself, and
this database can be extracted to virtually any portal system by text
replicas for simple "passwd" files to be used simply in systems with a
squid proxy, or extracted in LDIF format to setup directories to be
published on other protocols like radius.

At the end, the platform provides a common framework which have enabled
many communities around the region in Catalonia to vertebrate a large
network at regional scale. For several reasons (language, map
availability, etc...) wasn't really usable out of the region. Given the
vast functionality it has, makes sense for such kind of applications to
try if can be adopted internationally, and by doing so, have a wider
community support for enhancing it.

En/na wlanmac ha escrit: