[wsfii-discuss] guifi.net project in India

Ramon Roca ramon.roca at guifi.net
Tue Oct 28 12:59:26 UTC 2008

Hi Aaron!

Not sure if I understood the question correclty, however let me try to
give an answer.

I guess the answer in short is no, because there is about an distributed
architecture, no single point or control/failure. But let me explain a
bit deeper.

It's an app setup aid, once configured/deployed, becomes autonomous, and
doesn't require the availability of any app server.

Once setup, there are distributed apps through the network for
monitoring purposes, but that is also autonomous, if those apps fail,
the network keeps running. The apps have to be distributed through the
network in order to track it as close as possible, which means that if
in a given moment a snmp server fails, we will not get the graph
displayed at the website, but the network will keep running.

Data is exchanged between servers by using CNML (Comunity Network Markup
Language) XML format and others.

I would say that is a loosely coupled framework composed by apps,
protocols and firmwares, where every layer is doing his own task, but
doesn't require the others to survive.

Of course, while provisioning IP's, the apps. follow logic and do
require to have an understanding of the network being managed. Is an
architecture decission to define how many app servers you want to have,
where and which tasks you want to do. If you want to update/configure
nodes/devices from several app servers simultaneously, you should first
assign distinct ranges to it, and then will be also able to  and think
if you will require to synchronize them or not.

We do have mirrors for some apps to survive from disasters.

Let me know if I answered or not :)

En/na Kaplan L. Aaron ha escrit: