[wsfii-discuss] Fwd: [india-gii] poor WiFi encryption a security risk

Kaplan L. Aaron aaron at lo-res.org
Sat Sep 20 18:02:46 UTC 2008

Guys, I want to add something important to the discussion.

Presently  in security circles we are discussing how the blackhats
could "take" over the typical embedded linux wifi router or SOHO router.
That means the "bad guys" can turn that into a zombie server which
will be used to send out spam, attack other servers etc. The usual
thing.

And the best part about it: it does not relate *at*all* to if the
wifi router is unencrypted or not.
You can do that kind of thing from the WAN side.

So, closing the open signal is really the wrong choice. First you
have to seriously ask, what you want to protect.
Is it physical locations against explosions? Well, there are a lot of
choices to protect against that. No matter if the letter came via
email or snail mail :))

When you want to protect from eavesdroppers , then you should use end-
to-end encryption (VPN) anyway!
Simply adding a WEP crypto layer is not going to help. WPA maybe a
bit. but... why should an attacker try to crack WPA when he can brute
force your default password on the linksys on the WAN interface? And
then install a packet sniffer :)

security is not easy to get right. One in my opinion very good source
for getting it right is to read Bruce Schneiers blog.

a.