[wsfii-discuss] The Empire Strikes Back: South Africa

sebastian buettrich sebastian at less.dk
Mon Apr 6 12:15:33 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 07:04 +0000, Vickram Crishna wrote:
> Tragically, yesterday the South African regulatory agency ICASA
> confiscated (without warrant or notice) equipment being used by the
> Mesh Potato project in its Village Telco implementation......
> Apologies for cross-posting: I know (through a recent round of introductions) that many of our listmembers are already on the Village Telco list.

apologies also from me for cross-posting and commenting on a rather old
thread -

just wanted to add

that we ve tried to maintain a little media coverage archive on this
case here: http://write.less.dk/?p=49

no claim to be complete - just meant for those who continue to be
interested in the development of this.

(pls add if you have stuff we ve overlooked!)

recent developments seems to indicate that this will backfire for ICASA
and become a turning point rather than yet another depressing defeat for
social networkers.

best to all,

sebastian