[wsfii-discuss] Preflashed FOSS mesh router history ...

elektra onelektra at gmx.net
Wed Apr 8 11:04:46 UTC 2009

Hi!

>> however we have to say that after testing a batch of 20 nodes,
>> we were not very pleased - on hardware level.
>>
>> stability problems, dropouts, need for powercycles, unstable RF output
>> over the various channels, etc

The device is AFAIK essentially the same sold as the first generation
Fonera AP, hence it shares the same design flaws regarding thermal
instability, PCB layout and RF filter design. When you open it you'll
see that it is using a linear voltage regulator which just burns off the
difference between the supply input voltage and the internal voltage -
the energy loss and heat emitted is significant. The device will
occasionally lock up just because it is overheating. The Madwifi driver
used may be unstable. Felix Fietkau has fixed this for OpenWRT in late
2008.  There is a unnecessary coax which is soldered to the board
because the designers were not smart enough to put the RF input/output
of the electronics close to the RF connector.

cu elektra