[wsfii-discuss] wsfii blog spammed

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Aug 26 21:31:49 UTC 2009

> I was just up to get the logo to link to the wsfii site from a new
> project, but as the wsfii site looks atm it is not a good idea to bring
> people there.
> there are *thousands* of spam articles.
>
> how could I help cleaning that up?
> how do we prevent that in the future? (hint: akismet, captchas ..)

	This is common. I get whacked every so often, and have to clean it out.
If you have access to the database, you can delete the records for the
posts.

	Captchas help, though there are humans that pass those, and then post
spam anyway. Captchas cut out 99% of it for me. Most of the posts are
done by bots.

	Update your software. There may be a patch to thwart whatever script
kiddies are using to bulk-post to your site.

	Check your site often. Delete spam. Keep up with it. Look what happens
when you don't check it very often!

	Perhaps you can delegate to some of your visitors? I get power-users on
my websites, who post often, and communicate with me. I give them more
access to the site, and they help maintain it. Makes things easier to
do, and keeps the website updated.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.pghwireless.net
drew at zhrodague.net		http://dorkbot.org/dorkbotpgh