[wsfii-discuss] [Rising Voices] Wimax and Wifi

ugo vallauri ugomatic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 09:48:12 UTC 2009

I think a great contact for Paul in Zambia would be LinkNet (www.link.net.zm),
a very committed local cooperative organization promoting mesh network
Internet access as a step towards holistic development in rural communities.
LinkNet is based in Macha - about 70km from Choma, between Lusaka and
Livingstone

Among other things, they design, implement and manage quite large wifi mesh
networks based on Open WRT using Linksys equipment, and they're very good at
it.
I suggest Paul get in touch with Gertjan van Stam <
gertjan.vanstam at link.net.zm>, and consider visiting Macha to learn about
low-cost, reliable solutions for Internet access.

By the way, in Macha they also have a community broadcasting project, and
they're interested in both community radio and TV, so I think it would be
very interesting for the Mpika project.

Best,
Ugo