[wsfii-discuss] help choosing between open-mesh and fonera

Carlos Rey crey at ehas.org
Fri Jan 23 09:37:32 UTC 2009

Dear all,

first off all: Thank you very much for your answers. I am amazed for the
amount of them.

Many of you ask me to explain a little bit more about the scenario we want
to deploy the devices.

The use of Open-Mesh, (it seems clear to me now that it would be the chosen
one), is for complementing the network we deployed in 2007 in the Amazonian
Jungle, in Peru.

The network is located in the department of Loreto, in the border region
between Peru and Ecuador, along the Napo and Curaray riversides. From the
first community, Tacsha Curaray, to the last one, Cabo Pantoja, there are
300 km on a straight line, which can only be covered by travelling 3 days by
boat.

The main purpose of this network is to allow voice and data communications
(Internet, Email, ...) for improving health management process and technical
quality of health care workers in eleven health care centers in the area.
The main one, Santa Clotilde, where the reference health center is located,
counts with a satellite connection as external gateway of the network. In
one of our last visits, its leaders ask us to assess the feasibility of
providing connectivity to three more points in the village.

In the backbone, we have established successfully links up to 50 Km  using
embedded computers WRAP E1, running our own version of Voyage, with Ubiquity
cards and high gain grid antennas. So the purpose of our research with
Open-mesh would be to prove whether using lower-cost, and lower-powered
hungry devices (since a solar power infrastructure needs to be build in each
place), they can automatically build a mesh network of less than hundred of
km to reach the repeater installed in Santa Clotilde and provide VoIP
connectivity to these places without overloading the network.

Thank you very much again

Carlos Rey Moreno
Fundación EHAS
www.ehas.org (only in Spanish, but I hope sooner than later it will be in