[wsfii-discuss] WasabiNet mesh in St. Louis appeared on local TV news!

Ben West westbywest at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 05:43:00 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Thanks for the tips.  I'm actually planning to deploy a couple Ubiquiti
5.8GHz radios this week, a Rocket M and a Nanostation M5, to try things out.

The goal is to build with these a small backbone mesh (~10 nodes) to supply
wired uplinks to 2.4GHz mesh devices, i.e. gateways for WasabiNet mesh.  I
only plan to have exclusively my own 5.8Ghz radios participate in the
backbone mesh; actual end users would still connect at 2.4GHz.

Are there more details on the limitations of mesh topology with the current
AirOS+OLSR firmware, in the absence of adhoc/adhemo?  The screenshots below
do suggest you do have a functioning mesh with gateway(s)/repeaters.
http://wiki.graz.funkfeuer.at/UbntStationsScreens

Also, I happened to find recent mention of Virtual AP support in AirOS
v5.3b2 on the Ubiquiti forum:
http://www.ubnt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24410

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 7:09 AM, L. Aaron Kaplan <aaron at lo-res.org> wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2010, at 10:39 AM, Alexander List wrote:
>
>  Ben,
>
> equinox in Graz did some work to get OLSR support into the Ubiquiti AirOS
> and even integrate OLSR configuration with the AirOS UI...
>

> To add to this - this allows us to use the very cool AirView Spectrum
> Analyzer scanner which is part of AirOS.
> The downside of course is that not everything is 100% open source here.
> Well, mostly FOSS at least.
>
> Another sidenote: at the wireless summit in the hacklab we found out that
> the speed test of AirOS was done from within a kernel module, so... the
> speed that you get on user space will differ from this of course.
>
> Thanks equinox (Christian)  :)
>
> Best,
> a.
>

> https://wiki.graz.funkfeuer.at/UbntStations