[wsfii-discuss] Is multi-casting video conferencing over IP available for tele-training?

Mahabir Pun mahabir at himanchal.org
Sun Nov 21 07:41:41 UTC 2010

Dear friends,

I am getting good responses from good people like you. Thanks for your
inputs. I need the software to be used in local networks through our servers
in Nepal. Although I know that there are lots of proprietary software
available in the market, I don't have money to buy them because they are
terribly expensive.

I am interested not only to know what is already available there. I would
like to form a team of volunteers to work in such a project that will help
to develop a free software for doing multicasting video conferencing for
tele-teaching and tele-training purposes. Please raise your hands if you are
interested to work in such a team.

I would also like someone interested to lead the team of the developers. I
will be field testing the software in the rural Nepal in several schools and
health clinics and will give the inputs.

The outcomes of the project will be very useful for developing countries
like Nepal because one teacher will be able to teach classrooms in several
schools at the same time. This will meet the dire shortage of qualified
teachers in the rural schools.

Secondly, we can also use the same system to provide health training for the
village health workers and agriculture training for the farmers. The health
workers and the farmers don;t need to travel to the cities to get training.
The software can also be used for running open university classes for the
students living in rural areas.

If we could develop a prototype of such software I can write proposals to
find support to finalize the project.

Thank you very much.

Mahabir Pun

Please visit our school and projects at http://www.himanchal.org and