[wsfii-discuss] first CWN international link

David Young dyoung at pobox.com
Fri Jul 1 08:04:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:31:43PM -0500, Ben West wrote:
> This write-up appears to suggest that things like TCP ACK might end up
> limiting your throughput down below what is useful.
>
> http://www.radio-active.net.au/web/80211/distance.html
>
> I'm guessing you would need to abandon TCP for such a long link.

TCP will work fine at such distances, but there can be link-layer
problems.

The per-frame acknowledgement in 802.11 was not a great idea even in
802.11b times.  ISTR that options were introduced with 802.11n to use
fewer acks.  Block ACKs I think that it's called?

You can also diverge from strict 802.11 constants or protocol to make
such a link work.  For years, NICs have let you fiddle with the SIFS and
other parameters.

Dave

dyoung at ojctech.com      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24