[wsfii-discuss] Wifi File Server (how to go about it)

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 13:10:12 UTC 2012

Hi

We would like to setup a simple wifi based file server. / file displayer
. To start with , just a one node network - which will expand as per user
requirements and usage. The node will have a Linksys wrt54gl router and a
computer to store / serve the data !

This is for a very small educational campus - with few students and some
itinerant travellers and researchers.

There will be research data / information and other documents that would be
available on this server.  The idea being that the user should be able to
see (browse) / download and upload data and information.

We don't expect much load initially - We are also not expecting to provide
internet access through this WLAN at the start (maybe at a later date).

We also don't expect the networked users to connect to each other, it won't
be a user to user communication medium. (again atleast not in the initial
phases)

The only possibility of users interacting with each other is "maybe"
through a wiki kind of mode. Where information pages would be accessible
for users to use and edit.

So my questions are

1, Is this possible in a simple way - not too much programming - but using
readymade easy to configure tools.If so what would they be and are there
live examples.

2. Is there a particular version of firmware for the wifi router (Linksys
ert54gl) that we should use - if so what would it be

2.1 - can this firmware also have the user login interface
2.2 is there a possibility of having  a method, such that when a new user
wants to logon they can be sent (by a hand written note /  sms or
something) a password for login or a guest login from where they can create
a new user ??

3. What kind of server !! software should the computer be using -
3.1 What would be the best way to display the available material

The computer OS  would be based in Linux ( preferences to Mint / Ubuntu ) -

***
Look forward to advice and suggestions

thanks

Ram